I entered
my local branch of Uniastrum Bank near the Pervomayskaya Metro in Moscow to conduct some
business. There was only the
receptionist and a security guard there and no one at their desks.
The receptionist asked what I wanted (I assumed so as I do not speak
Russian) and I pointed to the desk area where the managers sit to make types of
transactions. She did not understand
me. So I called my Russian wife and tried to
have my wife talk with to the receptionist on my mobile by handing mobile to. She refused to take the phone. I tried to do the same with the security
guard and he too refused to speak with my wife.
I showed my Uniastrum Visa card to the receptionist and she still
refused to help or talk with my wife.
After a few minutes, a woman from the back came out to see what was
happening and I handed my phone to her and she spoke with my wife and I finally
got what business done that was required.
This is not the first time I have been treated this way at this branch. Several months ago I was refused service as the managers did not speak English and wound not talk with my wife. Also I have seen many times in chain stores where the clerks believe that the customers are in their way as they are restocking the selves. Stores would put pallets of goods between the gondolas and price the products. No merchandising done and not enough space to move a shopping cart down the isles. Customer service is not in many Russian vocabulary.
Now don't get me wrong and think that all Russians are bad at customer service. Many Russian clerks bend over backwards to help me out in getting what I want or need. At home improvement stores many of them are impressed that I don't understand the language, but understand the products and uses. They will make sure I get what I need and wont rip me off.
I understand the need to learn the local language, yet I struggle in learning Russian and do greet in Russian.
Now don't get me wrong and think that all Russians are bad at customer service. Many Russian clerks bend over backwards to help me out in getting what I want or need. At home improvement stores many of them are impressed that I don't understand the language, but understand the products and uses. They will make sure I get what I need and wont rip me off.
I understand the need to learn the local language, yet I struggle in learning Russian and do greet in Russian.
No comments:
Post a Comment